Staffies are a super-playful and energetic breed, which means they are bound to get rather dirty from time to time. As a result, regular baths are going to be required and should be part of a healthy dog's grooming routine.
Choosing a high-quality shampoo for your dog's coat and skin is key. Since some staffies are prone to skin conditions and allergies, you should be even more careful about the products you use (a hypoallergenic shampoo is a must for dogs with skin issues).
Selecting either a hypoallergenic or regular shampoo seems simple enough but the number of options and variety of ingredients is overwhelming.
This article aims to make your decision simple by providing examples and short reviews of our favourite hypoallergenic dog shampoos and regular dog shampoos.
What is Special About Dog Shampoo?
Before we dive into our chosen dog shampoos, I think it’s important we discuss what dog shampoo actually is and why you can’t just use regular old human shampoo during your dog’s bath time? (click here to skip to the shampoo reviews).
A dog shampoo is designed specifically to fulfill the needs of a dog’s skin. It takes into account things like how sensitive your dog’s coat is, insects that might be roaming around in their fur, the acidity of their skin, etc.
All of these factors make buying a dog shampoo an essential purchase for any dog owner. It’s just a fantastic way to keep your staffy in good health and will stop those pesky insects from becoming a prevalent issue in your dog’s life.
Some dog shampoo manufactures also design their shampoos specifically to make your dog’s coat shine. In other words, these shampoos will make your staffies coat look cleaner than it’s ever been.
The key to selecting the best dog shampoo is to know why you are using that specific shampoo, which I will touch upon in the following section.
Can you Use Human Shampoo for Dogs?
There are many different reasons why you can’t use human shampoo during your dog’s bath time. First, a dog’ skin is much different than a human’s; therefore, needs a different shampoo.
A dog’s skin is much more sensitive than a human’s: a dog’s skin only has 2-5 layers of skin rather than our 10-15 layers. Due to this, dog shampoos are designed to be gentler on their skin and coat than a human shampoo.
Additionally, a dog’s skin is less acidic than a human’s. On the pH scale, a dog’s skin falls around a balance of 6.2-7.4, while; humans are around 5.5-5.6, which is more acidic.
Using human shampoo on a dog could end up being extremely harmful to your dog. See, using “a human shampoo on dogs disrupts the acid mantle leaving your dog vulnerable to parasites, viruses, and bacteria.”To keep your dog’s coat clean and skin healthy, you can use one of the recommended products we’ve reviewed in the rest of this article. We have covered both hypoallergenic and non-hypoallergenic shampoos so you can choose depending on your dog’s needs.
Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoos for Staffies with Skin Issues
If you notice your staffy has some skin conditions or issues such as hot spots, you should look at the following products to help manage the situation. Honestly, any of the next three products will do wonders.
- All natural ingredients
- Includes vanilla to makes your staffy’s coat shine
- Contains aloe vera to calm and soothe itchy skin
- Has a hint of lavender to reduce anxiety and keep your dog’s fur healthy
- 30-day money back guarantee
- No noticeable drawbacks (believe me I looked)
All in all, Copper and Gracie C&G’s Dog Shampoo is a fantastic product for any dog owner who has an itchy skin problem. In fact, even if you don’t, this shampoo could be a great buy for you due to its effectiveness at keeping your dog’s fur clean and healthy. View it here on Amazon.
- No artificial thickeners that would add toxicity to your dog’s bath.
- Includes lemongrass essential oil to deter fleas
- All natural ingredients
- Contains coconut oil to soothe your dog’s sensitive, itchy skin
- Has a smidge of olive oil to rejuvenate and protect your dog’s skin
- Known to sting your dog’s eyes if there’s contact
Now, if you have no issue spending a little extra to secure a top-notch product, then this shampoo should be at the top of your list. But if you’re looking for a bargain like me, you should look somewhere else.
Regardless of the price, 4-Legger did an excellent job at creating a high-quality, hypoallergenic shampoo that could help any dog fight back against itchy skin. View it here on Amazon.
- The main ingredient is oatmeal, which softens your dog’s coat
- It also moisturizes and soothes itchy skin
- Does wonders on the symptoms of hot spots, flea/tick problems, allergies, and dry skin
- Comes in two different sizes: 20oz and 1 gallon.
- Some customers have complained about packaging issues such as the product leaking into the shipping box
In the end, if you’re looking to buy a dog shampoo in bulk, this product should more than provide you with all you’re looking for: the gallon option really is convenient. However, packaging issues are a little concerning.
But regardless of the shipping issue, this shampoo is probably my favorite because of oatmeal being the main ingredient. It just offers too many benefits for me to pass this offer up and I might even buy the gallon version. Click here to view on Amazon.
Best Non-Hypoallergenic/Regular Dog Shampoo
If your dog doesn’t have any skin conditions and you just want to get their fur free of mud/dirt, the following shampoos should do the job. Each of these shampoos is proven to make your dog’s coat look as clean as its ever been.
- All-natural ingredients
- Uses natural oils that don’t irritate your dog’s eyes or nose
- Includes coconut oil to enhance shiny fur
- Full money back guarantee
- Six in one formula, which promises that it will do everything to keep your dog’s coat and skin in pristine condition
- One of the more expensive shampoos
- Reports of packaging issues by some Amazon reviewers
Overall, this shampoo is a fantastic proven way to keep your staffy’s fur and skin in top-notch condition. But it does run on the more expensive side for regular dog shampoo, but it does offer many services you don’t frequently see in dog shampoos.
Therefore, I find it qualifies as a worthwhile buy in the long run. After all, we’ll do anything to keep our staffies happy and healthy. View on it on Amazon here.
The Company of Animals Pet Head Dirty Talk Deodorising Shampoo is the perfect option for staffy owners shopping on a budget. It does its job effectively without any nonsense. Honestly, those two qualities are all you need in a dog shampoo.
- Includes vegetable proteins that help keep your dog’s coat shiny
- PH balanced
- Orange scented to ensure your dog’s bad smell flutters away
- Incredibly low-priced
- Two different sizes: 475 ml and 3.79 L
- Short scent-life
Although it’s easily the most affordable option on both lists, this product still isn’t what you’d expect from a cheap option. In fact, it has some of the best reviews out of any of the products in this article.
Therefore, if you’re looking for a bargain, this shampoo would definitely be the choice for you hands down. Click here to view the shampoo on Amazon.
Our last product, the ProGroom Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo, makes sure the customer won’t be disappointed with its abundance of essential oils and inclusion of the multi-purpose ingredient of oatmeal.
- All natural ingredients
- Contains oatmeal which will help soften your dog’s coat
- Has multiple essential oils that maintain skin moisture
- Includes organic neem oil that will help protect and get rid of fleas, tick, and lice.
- Strong smell. Not unpleasant but some may not like it.
This product is my favorite on the non-hypoallergenic shampoo list. And it’s for a simple reason; the inclusion of the oatmeal and other minerals just add so many unique benefits to your dog’s coat and skin health.
Also, it’s a very affordable and worthwhile product that I wouldn’t mind paying an extra dollar or two to purchase; I feel like the extra money would be worth it given the benefits this shampoo offers. Click to view on Amazon.