If you own a Staffordshire bull terrier, I don’t need to tell you what a great breed they are. They’re lovable, loyal, and friendly parts of our lives.
However, there are certainly some headaches that come with being a staffy owner are difficult. For instance, staffies are notorious for their strong chompers and love of chewing; a fact that makes it difficult to find toys for your dog that will last.
Unfortunately, even the strongest toys can be no match for your staffy, which is why we created this little guide.
There are a few toys that can withstand the onslaught of your staffy’s teeth. In this article, we have highlighted 5 super-strong chew toys that are up to the task of withstanding your dog’s onslaught.
The Importance of Durable Dog Toys
All dog breeds like to have their toys and, for staffies, this is especially true. As you know, staffies have a lot of built up energy and need somewhere to unleash that energy. This is where toys come into play.
All their pent-up energy seems to come out in the form of chewing all your stuff: shoes, furniture, socks, pillows, etc. Basically, staffies need something to chew on when they get bored.
Of course, some toys can’t hold up against your staffies powerful jaw. Plush toys never stand a chance. Tennis balls end up being swallowed or ripped into pieces and can actually be bad for your dog’s teeth. In the end, you find out regular toys just aren’t made for staffies.
Don’t worry; this isn’t the end of the world. There are plenty of durable toys out there that can stand up against your staffy’s chewing. So, save yourself pair of shoes or two by investing in a couple of our favourite” indestructible” dog toys below.
5 Best Indestructible Dog Chews for Staffies
(In no particular order)
1. Kong Extreme Dog Toy
🏆 Best Overall Value Chew Toy 🏆
As the name suggest, the Kong Extreme Dog Toy is indeed extreme. This rubber toy will withstand your staffy’s chewing thanks it’s puncture resistance material called Black Ultra Flex.
However, this toy’s durability won’t stop your staffy enjoying it. It has multiple functions: you can throw it, put treats inside it or just leave your dog to chew it. Your staffy will keep coming back to this toy and they won’t be able to rip into pieces.
A popular idea is to put some peanut butter inside and freeze it to ensure your staffy will be obsessed with this amazing toy. They’ll be busy trying to get the peanut butter out rather than chewing on your shoe or a piece of furniture.
All in all, this toy will be a time-consuming piece of fun for your staffy. They are very well-reviewed, pretty cheap and durable.
- Instinctual Needs: The KONG Extreme black rubber toy helps satisfy dogs' instinctual needs and provides mental stimulation. Healthy play is important for dogs' physical and mental development, emotions and behavior. By encouraging healthy play and satisfying instinctual needs, this toy helps solve chewing, separation anxiety, teething, boredom, weight management, crate training, digging, barking and more!
- Fetch Toy: The KONG Extreme's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other interactive play with your pet.
- Power Chewing Dogs: The KONG Extreme black rubber formula is created for power chewing dogs.
- Great For Stuffing: The stuffable KONG Extreme is even more enticing when stuffed with kibble, peanut butter, KONG Easy Treat, Snacks or Ziggies. Dishwasher safe for easy clean up. Bonus: For an added challenge, freeze stuffed KONG for 4-6 hours before giving to your dog.
2. Nylabone Dura Chew Big Dog Toy
🏆 Best Chew Toy for Heavy Chewers 🏆
The Nylabone Dura Chew is another product designed specifically for powerful chewers such as staffies. It’s made from tough nylon that will make it impossible for your staffy to break it apart.
Again, this toy will keep your staffy occupied for long periods of time. It’s never a bad thing to have toys that consume a lot of your staffy’s time; it’s the key to staving off boredom.
As an added bonus. it also does a job to help with teeth health by controlling plaque and tartar as your dog gnaws away.
Having used all of the toys on this list, this is the one that our dog enjoys the most and has lasted the longest. No small bits fall off it, it just gets slowly ground down over time but it takes a long while.
- Designed for powerful chewers
- Chicken flavoured chew made from extra tough, long-lasting nylon
- Helps to control plaque and tartar
- Encourages healthy, non-destructive chewing habits
3. West Paw Design Zogoflex Hurley
The West Paw Design Hurley is a great choice for staffy owners thanks to its durable non-toxic material called Zogoflex. The Zogoflex material is flexible and designed specifically to keep your dog from destroying the toy.
Besides the sturdy material, the shape of the Hurley will enthral your staffy. It looks identical to a stick or bone, but unlike those two objects, there’s no chance it will break off and injury your pup.
Additionally, it will keep dogs busy for hours with its multiple uses: it floats, you can throw it, and they can chew it. There’s no way your staffy will get bored of this product. Basically, it will keep your staffy occupied and away from chewing things around the home.
Most importantly, it will give your staffy’s teeth a worthy opponent and give them a challenge.
4. Oneisall Bone Toy for Agressive Chewers
The oneisall Bone Chew Toy is another durable and tough toy that will keep your staffy entertained for hours. Uniquely, this toy is bacon-flavoured to make sure your staffy keeps coming back. After all, who can resist the allure of bacon?
In terms of practicality, this toy is bone shaped, hence the name, and contains all the advantages a regular bone provides. Unlike a regular bone, there’s no chance this toy will break off into little pieces and become a choking hazard.
In fact, this toy has some health benefits. For instance, while your staffy chews, this toy cleans their teeth by keeping your staffy’s plaque from getting out of control. Therefore, it provides entertainment and improves dental health for your dog at the same time.
If you’re looking for a bone-shaped toy or something a little unique with the bacon flavour, this is probably the one to go for.
- Made by durable nylon,safe non-toxic , tough and durable.
- Chewing help clean teeth and control plaque and tartar,effectively cleans teeth to promote oral health soothes discomforts from teething.
- Irresistible Bacon Flavor,they love it !
- Creats positive association with toy and reduces anxiety and boredom.
5. Nylabone Dura Chew Plus
🏆 Best Chew Toy for Teeth and Gum Health 🏆
This toy is made from a similar material to the other ones in the Nylabone range (nylon, hence the name), which is great news because it's seriously durable. This toy is slimmer than the Nylabone Duraw Chew "big", which means your dog can grip it better so it may not last as long.
However, the reason for it being slimmer in profile is to allow better teeth cleaning as you dog chews it.
Like the Oneisall Bone Chew, this product will help clean your staffy’s teeth with the raised nibs and ridges on its surface. It’s important to fight against plaque build-up since it can cause health problems for your dog.
Of course, any dog toy that can benefit your staffy’s health in some way is worth getting. If you want a chew toy that will last ages and is great for your dog's teeth and gums, this is the one to get.
- Made from durable nylon, Designed for powerful chewers
- Helps Clean teeth and control plaque and tartar
- Encourages healthy, non-destructive chewing habits
- Engages and entertains your dog